10 WAYS TO HACK THE COLD AND FLU
It’s inevitable that most people will get a cold or the flu at least once during the year. Some people will get a mild case and be done with it, while others the symptoms will linger on and often progress into a secondary illness like a sinus infection, bronchitis or pneumonia. Most people know it’s important to stay hydrated with good water, but here are 10 other things to help you “hack” these illnesses…
- Building a Strong Immune System. This begins with having enough healthy bacteria in your gut. Eating a clean diet with minimal sugar and alcohol and avoiding gluten and other processed foods helps to keep the good bacteria thriving and proliferating. Consuming organic vegetables and fruit, grass fed meat, free range chicken/eggs, wild caught fish, healthy fats such as coconut oil, butter and organic unfiltered olive oil will give your body high quality nutrients.
- Wash your hands frequently. You have heard this before- create friction using soap (do not use anti-bacterial soap). Make sure you do it long enough, my kids learned to sing the “Happy Birthday” song so they knew how long to wash their hands.
- Take a probiotic. Most people do not have enough good bacteria in their gut. It is also important to have the correct types of microbes, because they have different functions. Most probiotics that you can buy at the store are not manufactured in a way that maintains the effectiveness and do not have all the right strains of bacteria . I have had many clients tested using this specific one with excellent improvement in gut bacteria. Klaire labs also makes probiotics for infants and children. If your child was not exclusively breastfed, they should be regularly taking a probiotic.
- Vitamin D3. It is recommended that most people take around 5,000 ius per day. The 25 Hydroxy D blood test will measure if you have adequate levels. You should strive to be in the upper end of the range which is usually around 80. Work with your doctor and get re-tested to adjust how much you take. I have blood tested my clients with low levels and work them to maximize absorption through improving gut health.
When you feel symptoms emerging or are sick….
- Cap full of hydrogen peroxide in your ear. Let it sit until the fizzing stops. Research in the early 1900s showed pathogens can enter the ear canal. This works well for sinus issues, cold, flu, fever and cough.
- Increase your Vitamin C– up to 3 grams in divided doses per day.
- Increase your vitamin D for a few days. Research shows that higher therapeutic doses help ramp up the immune system to fight illnesses.
- Consume organic chicken bone broth. This is a superfood that supports the immune system and gut health.
- Use Xlear Nasal Spray. This nasal spray helps with inflammation and the grapefruit seed extract helps to kill bacteria. There is also a version for babies and children
- Use essential oils. I have been using Young Living oils for nearly 20 years on myself, my kids and clients. I recommend R.C., Thieves and Purification.
Click here to link to products that I recommend